Lemon Garlic Asparagus
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Sides do not have to be boring, and that is why we are bringing you Lemon Garlic Asparagus. This recipe is super easy but also super flavourful. You can adjust the amount of garlic and lemon depending on your preferred taste. We originally used more garlic than we have put in the recipe, but I found it too garlicky. But if you like a lot of garlic by all means adjust the amount you are using.
Keep Side Dishes Light
I have always felt that side dishes should be on the lighter side. Apart from the starch or carb that you’re eating, such as a baked potato, etc. The vegetables you accompany your meat and carb with should be satisfying but also light and healthy. For some people, this will be one of the only times in a day they are eating vegetables. You should be getting way more servings of fruits and vegetables than this. But I do understand that dinner is often a meal that is easier to add in vegetables. It is best to aim for a couple servings of fruits and vegetables in every meal you have and dinner is a great time to do so.
This Lemon Garlic Asparagus is flavourful but also light. Even though it is cooked in a pan, in a bit of oil. It doesn’t feel heavy and still feels like you’re eating healthy delicious food. There is also just something about the marrying of lemon and garlic. They just seem to work. We use a lemon press to juice our lemons and a garlic press to mince our garlic. This helps cut down on prep time, and makes this recipe super easy to execute.
Buy Local Asparagus
Depending on your geographical location, asparagus may be a bit pricey. We always try to find asparagus on sale or in season to cut down on food costs. It is also worth a shot to buy it from a farmers market or a local farmer. Local always just tastes better, the cost may be lower (cutting out the middle man), and you know you are supporting your local economy.
As I mentioned above, this is a super easy recipe and has very few ingredients. Play with it until you find your perfect lemon-garlic ratio. However, I do feel that we were able to find a very good balance. Also, by mixing your garlic into your lemon juice and letting it sit while you start cooking your asparagus. It should cut down on how strong the garlic can be. The best part of this recipe is that it is naturally gluten free! These are my favourite type of meals since they are so easy and you don’t have to swap out any gluten containing ingredients for gluten free ones.
Let us know if you try out this Lemon Garlic Asparagus. If you’re looking for more side dish options check out our Mini Smashed Potatoes and Sesame Ginger Celery.
- Wash and dry the asparagus and lemon.
- Juice half of the lemon with a lemon juicer or your hands, in a small bowl. Finely mince or grate the garlic. Mix the lemon juice and garlic together.
- Cut or snap off the ends of the washed asparagus. In a medium pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Toss the asparagus into the pan, cook for 2-3 minutes. Stirring often.
- When the asparagus has started to slightly turn brown, add the lemon-garlic mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Stirring often.
- Asparagus is done when it is no longer hard but is not floppy. When you put your fork into a piece there shouldn't be much resistance. Divide between plates and serve immediately.