Steak Fajitas with Sautéed Bell Peppers
Happy Cinco de Mayo friends! While we may not be Mexican we will totally use this Mexican holiday as an excuse to eat good food. So with that being said we bring to you Steak Fajitas with Sautéed Bell Peppers. As always we love foods that are naturally gluten free. The ingredients in this recipe are all gluten free and then sub a regular tortilla for a gluten free one.
Gluten Free Tortillas Alternatives
Many corn tortillas are gluten free and that is a great option for fajitas or if you’re making quesadillas. However, I am not the biggest fan of corn tortillas. While it’s not traditional we used Naan bread that we always have on hand. We make large batches of this naan and then freeze it for convenience. That way we can pull out a couple pieces as we like for many different dishes.
We have added a lime crema to this dish. Of course you can just use some sour cream and maybe a squeeze of lime. But it is just so nice to have a lime crema. This crema is so super easy to make. It only requires 1/2 a cup of sour cream, 1 whole lime and some cilantro (plus salt and pepper). If you don’t like cilantro than you can just skip that and it will be just sour cream and lime. However if you do like cilantro, I highly recommend adding it in. Cilantro goes very well with fajitas and it really adds something to this dish.
Pre-Packaged Taco Mix
This steak fajitas recipe is so super simple and easy. In fact we used Club House prepackaged taco mix. Of course you can make your own mix (we do this sometimes) but it is so convenient to buy packaged mix and use that. I prefer to purchase sodium reduced taco mix. You can’t taste a difference in the reduced option.
There was a time in my life that I did’t really pay attention to these things. However since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I have become super aware of my salt intake. We now only buy iodized salt which is super important if you have a thyroid problem (or even if you don’t). Unless you live on the ocean, chances are you aren’t intaking iodine which could potentially lead to some health issues. My hypothyroidism diagnosis is not from a lack of iodine. However, switching to iodized salt has helped my thyroid a a lot (as well as medication).
Well friends, we hope you enjoy these Steak Fajitas with Sautéed Bell Peppers. If you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo (along with Taco Tuesday), or just looking for some new dinner ideas, you will love this meal. The tender steak with the colourful bell peppers and the pop of flavour from the lime crema, will have your taste buds dancing. Let us know if you try out this recipe. If you’re looking for more dinner ideas check out our Greek Salad with Crispy Feta Croutons.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 2 thin 4 ounce steaks
- 2 packages (24 g each) taco seasoning gluten free
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 large white onion
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1/2 cups cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
Sautéed Bell Peppers
- Pat steak dry with a clean paper towel. Then cover the steak in the taco seasoning, making sure both sides are coated. Let sit for 10-15 minutes to marinade.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat add 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Place steaks in pan, cook on each side for 3 minutes. Remove when done cooking. Let rest while you cook your bell peppers
- Thinly slice rested steak.
- Wash and dry all produce. Thinly slice the onion and all the bell peppers.
- In the same pan you cooked the steak, over medium-high heat add 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Add the peppers and onions to the pan, along with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, continuously tossing the mixture. Turn off heat.
- In a small bowl combine sour cream, lime zest, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Lay the tortilla or naan (flat bread) on a plate, place steak in centre of the tortilla. Carefully put the sautéed bell peppers on top of the steak. Top with the lime crema and garnish with cilantro if desired. Serve immediately.